Thursday 23 October 2008

BRIDGE OVER THE - "ROAD INTO LONGTON"

Everyone who follows our blog will know by now that until recently I was an active member of the Labour Party. I resigned from the party because I was not happy with the direction that the Labour Elected Mayor was taking our city and also that no one from within the party would go public and distance the party from the actions of what I feel was a Mayor working on a West Midlands Labour Party agenda rather than a Stoke Labour Party agenda.
Regulars will also be aware of my total support for the three Longton North Councillors Mark Davis, Tom Reynolds & Denver Tolley. These guys work as hard as any councillor I've seen, in their ward.
They have worked on anti social behaviour and to improve facilities in the Longton North area. They attend countless meetings to try and get the best for their electorate.
These guy's know that Longton Town Centre isn't the most attractive and they have been instrumental in the work done to get Longton a much needed face lift.
Key to this is the railway bridge over the King Street entrance/exit to the town.
It's fair to say it is in dire need to refurbishment and there is an old saying about "painting the Servern Bridge" well let me tell you, the Severn Bridge could have been repainted a bloody million times since the last coat of paint went on Longton Railway Bridge.
The three councillors have started a campaign and a petition, to get this bridge repainted and I for one will be signing it! Have a look at this video, whilst I accept that these two aren't the best looking of men, nor are they natural TV presenters for that matter! They send a very clear message and one that deserves support..........

10 comments:

nicky said...

I agree it would look much better cleaned up and painted. I'm sure it would be affordable within the mayoral salary we're going to save...

brooneyes said...

I've sent you lot an e-mail of something that does need attending to, as the photo's will show.

warren said...

Longton needs sorting out no question about that. The bus station is only a few years old and its a mess. The train station is as bad and the steps leading to the platforms are a danger and smell of piss (like most public places round hear, I blame the lack of poblic loos, but ever when the loos where open it still smelt of piss, so there you go).As for the bridge, its well behond hope, I was there yesterday morning and there was around 200 birds under there droping there loads, the pavement under it likes a skateing rink, but is is'nt made of ice, its made of bird crap. Now, to bring the bus station back to good order, and the train station for that matter, it would not take a lot, a repair hear and there and good old paint and clean up. Then if anyone is seen up to no good round there, bust there ass. That bloody bridge is the main sticking point, it needs doing, we are told that it will be done, then told it will cost to much.

And what as Mr. Pond e-mailed to you lot, is it a photo of himself.

nicky said...

Warren, I have no idea what Craig's pretty face looks like (I'm guessing he's got brown eyes), but nonetheless you are being a little mean I think.

Tony, what did Craig email about?

Sir Findo Gask said...

Who is responsible for the bridge? I thought that Network Rail would be responsible as it is part of their network?

With the bus station and rail station being so close together they could be connected / combined quite easily and provide a unified transport system.

Maybe Longton needs to have an action group to voice the views of the people and work with the councillors.

warren said...

Alright, I'll take the joke about Mr. Pond back then just for you Nicky.Sir Findio Gask, I like that ideer one hell of a lot.

Alison said...

Craig has emailed Pitsnpots about a similar travesty in his area of the city. I am hoping to gain more info about this over the weekend from him and will then write an article for debate and comment.

It will give us all something else to debate whilst we wait for Monday's installment on the Council Leader debate....

brooneyes said...

Warren, you are bang on the money!
Brooneyes is my wifes account as for some reason mine isn't accepted.

Sir Findo Gask said...

Just out of interest..

Are there any groups in Longton who are trying to get residents to engage with their local councillors and improve their lot or do we all just bowl along accepting what we are given? I live here and haven't seen anything, maybe I am blinkered, as the free paper no longer appears on the door mat I'm not sure what is going on anymore.

Burslem seems to have groups of interested people trying to work with the council when it comes to regeneration and trying to improve the area. It seems to be the central point for all creative people in the city. I go to Burslem quite a lot as I am classed as 'creative' and there is always something going on. They may not succeed all the time but at least they are trying and have links with people in the council, not always the councillors but real proper council workers...

Anonymous said...

Alison, have e-mailed the story that Craig, and myself are working on, can you let me know if you have recieved it.